Rising Fears Over Mouldy Homes: How to Remove Mould and Mildew from Walls

mold and mildew removal

This year, we have already seen a number of parents reach out to the media to raise awareness of poor living conditions, and the effects these conditions are having on their family’s health. Mums in Worcestershire and Plymouth have recently reported that their children appear to be reacting to large amount of mould and mildew in the home with breathing difficulties and recurrent infections, and unfortunately they may not be too far from the truth. Mould and mildew could be affecting your health.

As parents, we always try to do what’s best for our children, and with new Government campaigns that have helped to educate us more about our children’s health, many of us have been making important changes within the home. We may be using slush machines, for example, to ensure our kids are drinking plenty of water rather than sugary pops, or increasing our intake of fresh fruits and vegetables. But there’s one aspect that’s proving more difficult to change: potentially harmful mould on the walls.

One of the main issues, of course, is that many of us simply don’t know how to remove mould and mildew from walls. It may not be something that we’ve had to do before, as mould can easily form due to a change in living conditions – more people in the home, for example. And with mould and mildew being particularly stubborn, it’s hard to know what products work, what products don’t work, and perhaps more importantly, what products are safe to use when we’ve got our little ones at home.

How to Remove Mould and Mildew from Walls

The good news for us busy, on-the-go parents is that learning how to remove mould and mildew from walls both efficiently and effectively is actually very easy. You’ll find handy video tutorials online and here’s a step-by-step guide to simple mould removal from bathrooms, kitchens, bedrooms, and anywhere else in the home:

  • Before getting started, change into protective clothing (face mask, eye goggles, and gloves) as you’ll be disturbing the mould spores and forcing them to circulate in the air. Open any windows and doors, or use a fan to direct spores and product fumes away from the home.
  • Start by cleaning your wall to remove any surface dirt, dust, cobwebs, and so on. All you need is a dry cloth or a duster. This just helps to give you a nice, open area to work in, and ensures that any products you use get where they need to be, rather than getting caught up in surface dirt.
  • Mix together 1 part bleach with 3 parts water. Bleach has antifungal properties so it’s great for killing off spores. Some parents worry when using bleach around kids but as long as you keep children away from the area, and keep your home well ventilated, there’s no need to worry.
  • Dip an old scrubbing brush into the solution, and gently scrub away at the stains (don’t scrub too vigorously, as you could spread the stain across the wall). You should start to see an instant improvement in the appearance of your walls but it is wise to test a small, inconspicuous area first in case a reaction occurs.
  • Use a damp cloth to wipe the stain and rinse away any leftover bleach on the wall. The antifungal properties in the bleach can help to prevent fungi growth but you may need to repeat these steps should new patches of mould or mildew appear in your home. As long as you remain vigilant, it should be fairly easy to keep on top of though and ventilating your home (particularly when showering and cooking) can help keep the problem at bay and prevent or limit further mould growth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *