What is Non-standard Home Insurance and When Might You Need It?


Different car owners can vary in their requirements and preferences for storing a vehicle. This can be reflected in garages. Perhaps you are content with the rather rudimentary garage that came with your house when you purchased it. Alternatively, you might use a much larger garage in which there is sufficient space for equipment and supplies to use in tinkering with that motor.

It’s reassuring, then, that buildings insurance covers garages, as Citizens Advice says. This can make it more financially palatable for you to have your garage repaired should it become damaged by vandalism, fires, flooding, storms or burst pipes. Buildings insurance is one of the categories of home insurance – which, nonetheless, could be more complex to take out should your garage have a fairly adventurous design. This is where your need for non-standard home insurance might come in.

Non-standard home insurance in a nutshell

If your garage’s unorthodox design is largely an extension of your main residential building’s structure, then you might have what is deemed a “non-standard construction” home.

Should your home have stone or brick walls and a tiled or slate roof, it probably isn’t classifiable as non-standard construction. Homes that might instead fit that description include flat- or thatched-roof houses, timber-clad or timber-framed houses, and listed buildings. Non-standard construction homes might also include some houses built large enough to accommodate an attached garage.

These descriptions could assist you in discerning whether your own home – including its garage – is non-standard construction. In fact, if it is, an insurer might even tell you in the event that you seek a policy from the majority of standard buildings insurance policies that don’t cover such homes.

How to look for non-standard home insurance

Don’t worry, though; there are many insurance providers willing to insure non-standard properties. Nonetheless, you might need to be particularly clever and careful when looking for a non-standard home insurance policy that delivers especially good value for money.

The Money Advice Service advises that you get in touch with an insurance broker possibly capable of sourcing non-standard home insurance policies. You could, for example, turn to Call Wiser. This fast-growing insurance broker is based in Hampshire; however, wherever you are in the UK, you can easily utilise their services online or over the phone.

As someone seeking a non-standard policy, it is clear that your insurance needs could be very particular. However, making a phone call is ideal for helping a broker to understand your needs. What Call Wiser learns in this manner, it can use to source the best possible cover and price for you. Making that call by landline will be completely free, too.

Another advantage of contacting an insurer by phone in particular is that the whole application can be relatively easy. You don’t have to spend a lot of your precious time completing potentially bewildering forms and then walking all the way to a post box to send them. With Call Wiser, submitting an online application can also be time-effective – as, after you have sent some basic information online, you can expect a response from them before the end of that day.

Might short term or temporary car insurance also help?

If your garage is very basic or even nonexistent, non-standard home insurance can remain useful should what comprises your residence’s structure be largely unconventional. Perhaps your home lacks any sophisticated garage because your automobile needs are basic.

That could be the case if you live very close to where you work; this could remove any need for you to have your own car. Your car usage might be limited to occasionally borrowing a vehicle from a friend or family member for brief periods of time that you require an automobile. In this situation, you may sometimes need car insurance of your own; driving a vehicle on UK roads without having insurance for it is illegal. Breaking this law could see you fined and banned from driving.

Still, there is not a strict need for you to choose a car insurance policy of a standard one-year length. If you only need to use a car for 1 to 28 days at a time, then short term or temporary cover can be sufficient for you to adhere to the law while maintaining restraint over your monetary expenditure on car insurance. To help you, Call Wiser can compare policies of this kind of car insurance.

The best non-insurance policy? Honesty

However, returning to the subject of non-standard home insurance, always be honest about your residence’s non-standard construction when looking for buildings cover. If you have a more standard policy and then have to claim, you won’t genuinely be covered. So, we urge you to remember, when applying for a policy, to be truthful and accurate in your answers to all questions put to you.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *