Whenever you want to buy a car, you will have many options open to you. For instance, you can buy from a private seller, an Internet website, or even a car auction. But one of the most-popular places to buy a car from a car dealer.
There are a few people that have reservations about buying from car dealers. For example, they might worry about getting a sour deal. Or they might think they’ll have to deal with overzealous car salespeople.
Image via Flickr (credit: ** RCB **)
The surprising truth is that you will usually get a better deal by going to a car dealer! In today’s blog post, I will discuss the reasons why, and offer you some amazing tips to get the best deals in town, every time!
Why buying from car dealers is a good idea
If you buy from a private seller, you have little guarantee that the deal is genuine.
Private car sellers don’t have to follow any real legal obligations when they sell cars. That means if the car you buy ends up having falsified documentation, or has a hidden past, they aren’t liable for any costs.
And some dodgy car sellers will pretend to be private sellers to avoid having to meet any legal obligations. After all, they are, in fact, motor traders!
Car dealers have several legal obligations they must meet before they can sell you a car. They have to make sure the car they sell doesn’t have a hidden past. They must also confirm the car’s credentials and documentation are legitimate.
They also need to make sure that the cars they sell are roadworthy. Many car dealers will even offer temporary insurance policies, so you can arrange your own insurance when you get home.
Finally, they must give an accurate description of the car they are selling. In other words, they aren’t allowed to sell you a car and pretend that it’s something else!
What car dealers can offer
Apart from having your future car on sale, there are many services that car dealers can offer their customers:
- Finance – most car dealers can offer car buyers finance packages to suit their needs;
- Servicing – bigger dealerships such as www.motorpoint.co.uk provide servicing and repair facilities for owners;
- Part-exchange – you can use your existing car towards the deposit of a new one. If you buy from a private seller or auction house, you cannot do this;
- Peace of mind – if you aren’t happy with your vehicle, car dealers have an obligation to put things right. You have the peace of mind knowing that any problems can get resolved with minimal stress.
How to get a good deal on your next car
Now that you have decided to buy a car from a dealer, there are some tips that you can take away to get a better deal:
- If you have the time and patience, sell your car privately. You will get more money for it than part-exchanging it;
- Visit the dealership at the end of the month. Sales staff are more likely to give bigger discounts to meet their targets;
- Take your future car out for a test drive. It will help you to decide if it is the car for you.